COURSE SYLLABUS

COURSE OBJECTIVES

This course is designed so that participants will:

READINGS

Assigned readings are presented with approximate due dates in the course calendar.

COURSE OUTLINE

THE BASIS FOR GRADES

1. Success on three exams.
  2. Success on a written assignment that will be described in class.
  3. Class participation: Frequent participation in discussions, role plays, and demonstrated interest in learning about interpersonal communication in everyday life.

GRADE DISTRIBUTION:

Each exam is worth a maximum of 100 points. The paper is worth 100 points. Additional points may be given for outstanding contributions to class discussions.

GROUND RULES

I will try to provide an interesting, useful and good course. In candor; however, I will expect the following from you:
  1. Attend class. If you don't you will not be able to pass the exams.
  2. Attendance will be governed by the rules of WCU, as outlined in the University catalogue.
  3. Do not ask to be dismissed from an exam because of other school work .
  4. Only serious illness is an acceptable reason for missing a test.
  5. Do not submit late papers. One grade will be reduced for each late day. No grade Higher than "D" will be given to a final paper presented after the announced deadline.
  6. Please keep a copy of all submitted work. If a paper does not reach me, I will ask for a second copy. Without a copy the paper will need to be considered an "F."
  7. Please secure a University e-mail address so I can communicate with the class.

A Thought for the Class:

The ideal class is one where "friendly people, educated, lively, on a footing of equality, civilized but natural, come together and tell... stories about the meaning of their {life's} longing. Allen Bloom
Return To COM 204 Homepage