HISTORY logo Jim Jones' Course Policies
Instructor: Jim Jones
Email: jjones@wcupa.edu; Telephone: 610-436-2168
Office: 519 Main Hall

ATTENDANCE: I follow the University's attendance policy which permits a professor to reduce a grade for excessive unexcused absences. I do this because I believe that learning consists of more than memorizing a certain amount of information. Learning also involves interacting with sources and ideas, which can only be accomplished in the presence of other people. Your classmates and I are those people, so you need to attend class in order to interact with us. If you do not accept this, then either do not take this class or else be prepared to receive a reduced final grade.

An excused absence is one that occurs as the result of a documented medical condition, legal proceeding, university- sanctioned event or death of an immediate family member (i.e. parent, sibling or child). All other absences are unexcused. You have the right to a certain number of unexcused absences without penalty each semester, depending on the level of the course and the number of times it meets each week. The following table shows how many unexcused absences are permitted and the penalty for exceeding that number. All penalties take the form of a reduction of the final grade that you earn based on quizzes, examinations, written assignments and class participation. If you feel that you have an extraordinary circumstance that merits special consideration, please make an appointment or speak to me during my office hours to discuss it before you plan to be absent. Requests for special consideration made after the unexcused absence has occurred will not be considered.

Course Level 100-199 300-699
Class Meetings per Week 3 2 1 3 2 1
Permitted unexcused absences 3 2 1 9 6 3
Penalty for each additional absence 1/3 letter 1/2 letter 1 letter 1/3 letter 1/2 letter 1 letter

If you miss an exam, you may make it up at the end of the semester, but ONLY by presenting a valid written excuse to the professor. Valid written excuses include a medical excuse on appropriate stationary, a police report concerning an incident in which you are personally involved, or a funeral notice for an immediate family member. If you need to reschedule an exam because it conflicts with a university-sanctioned event, you must present a letter from the faculty member or administrator responsible for the event to the professor in advance.

CHEATING/PLAGIARISM: Cheating is any act that "defrauds, deceives or employs trickery" in order to obtain credit for work which has not been completed. In my classes, this is most likely to occur when someone copies answers from another person's examination or quiz, brings unauthorized sources to an examination or commits plagiarization on a written assignment. Plagiarization is the act of "passing off the ideas of anoother as one's own work." The worst examples occur when someone copies material from another person's paper or web page and claims to have written it. The solution is to provide a reference note (either footnote or endnote) that contains enough information about where you found material so that I can verify the source and that you used it correctly. NOTE: Unless instructed otherwise, it is not acceptable to "cut and paste" from other sources to complete a written assignment, even if you provide a reference note. Written asignments in my class will require you to examine sources and other people's ideas, think about them yourself, and then compose your own thesis about your subject. In other words, at least part of every written assignment that you do for me must contain original material composed by you. Anyone who cheats or plagiarizes will receive a zero (i.e. a grade much lower than F) for that examination or assignment. Anyone who cheats twice will be referred to the University's judicial system for additional sanctions.

To reduce the opportunity for cheating and plagiarization, I do not reuse tests and I give assignments that are unlikely to be found on web pages. Before examinations, I will move desks to increase the spacing between class members, ask you to to put away all study materials and instruct you to turn off cell phones. I may ask you to remove hats or other extraneous clothing. During examinations, I will instruct you not to talk, not to extract anything from pockets or backpacks without asking me first, to raise your hand if you have a question, and not to leave the room until you have completed the examination. HERE'S A SUGGESTION: Arrive a few minutes early on exam days and use the rest room before the exam starts. Do not bring food or drink to the exam if it will distract you or others while taking the exam.

DISABILITIES: We at West Chester University comply with the ADA of 1990 by making accommodations for persons with disabilities. Please make your needs known by contacting the professor and/or the Office of Services for Students with Disabilities at ext. 3217. Sufficient notice is needed in order to make the accommodations possible.

DISCRIMINATION: West Chester University prohibits discrimination, including sexual harassment, of any individual based on race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, religious creed, disability or veteran status. The University is committed to providing leadership in extending equal opportunities to all individuals and will continue to make every effort to provide these rights to all members of the University community, including students, staff, and administrators, as well as all applicants for admission or employment and all participants in University-sponsored activities. Any individual having suggestions, problems, complaints or grievances with regard to equal opportunity or affirmative action is encouraged to contact the Director of Social Equity at ext. 2433.

SUBSTANCE USE/ABUSE: West Chester University's Plan for Excellence includes a commitment to improve retention, graduation and time-to-degree rates by assisting students during key transitional periods in their academic careers. I believe that alcohol and drug issues can compromise student success, so I have participated in a training program called Partners in Prevention designed to help faculty/staff recognize addiction and guide students to assistance. If you wish to discuss any of this with me -- in confidence -- please contact me outside of class.

LINKS TO JIM JONES' COURSE SYLLABI
HIS 101 World History to 1500   ||   HIS 102 World History Since 1500
HIS 311 African History to 1875   ||   HIS 312 African History Since 1875
HIS 390 Hist. Controversy on the Web     ||   HIS 480 Computer Apps. in Hist. Research
HIS 511 Africa to Independence   ||   HIS 512 Africa Since Independence