welcome to Riggtown logo

Notes on the History of the West Chester Railroad 1883-1893

---   Go to Riggtown Home or the HIS480 Syllabus   ---

This file contains assorted facts from Chester County history collected by students in the HIS480 "Computer methods of historical research" class at West Chester University. Each fact consists of specific information, a reference note to its source, and a date. The "facts" are organized in chronological order.

This file has not been completely proofread, nor have the sources been verified, so use this material with caution.

Collected by Jim Jones, David Flogaus, Kelly Kulp-Bosler, Mike Wolford and Bob Gialanella (Spring 1995). Additional information collected by Daniel Cleary, John Morrison, Scott Harre, and Robert Troutman (Spring 1996); and by Nicole Bowman, Karin Flippin, Mary Kurtak, Kelly McVeigh, Wendy Smoker, and Brian Toombes (Spring 1997). Last edited by Jim Jones (August 9, 1997).

Special thanks to Don Callander of the West Chester Railroad Company for providing notes, photocopies and other materials.



1883      BREOU'S ORIGINAL SERIES OF FARM MAPS, CHESTER COUNTY
          (Philadelphia: W. H. Kirk & Co., 1883), 18-19.

     The PRR engine house was located just east of Adams Street
     opposite Lacy Street.

------------------------
1883/01/08     "Delayed" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 8, , 1883),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     An accident on the Pennsylvania Railroad delayed trains to
     West Chester on the PRR-Frazer by more than three hours.

------------------------
1883/02/10     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 10, 1883), in CCHS
               clippings file, "West Chester Transportation;
               Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     John Hilbert of Morton, Delaware, was appointed assistant
     stationmaster in West Chester, replacing Sharpless Lewis,
     who was transferred to Glen Mills on the West Chester &
     Philadelphia branch.

------------------------
1883/03/08     "Railroad Matters" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 8,
               1883), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Work was underway to add a fourth track to the Pennsylvania
     Railroad Main Line between Frazer and Glen Loch.  Track
     laying was also underway on the Phoenixville & West Chester
     branch (PRR-P&WC) to replace the track between James Miley's
     farm and Frazer, and install a new switch to Miley's siding.

------------------------
1883/03/15     "Freight Business Increaasing" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (March 15, 1883), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The extra freight train on the PRR-Frazer had to make three
     trips in a single day last Wednesday to collect all the
     freight.

------------------------
1883/04/20     "A Railroad Jury" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April 20,
               1883), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     A jury was convened to consider the lawsuit for damages
     resulting from the construction of the PRR-Frazer in East
     Whiteland and Caln Townships where the damage was said to
     have occurred.  They were all from Chester County, but none
     from West Chester.  They were registered at the Mansion
     House Hotel.

------------------------
1883/05/10     "Palace Cattle Cars" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (May 10,
               1883), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     A new type of cattle car, designed by Kohler, arrived in
     West Chester on Tuesday over the PRR-Frazer branch.  It
     could accomodate 18 cattle and included a number of modern
     inventions, such as removable stalls made of heavy canvas,
     and folding troughs at different heights for horses and
     cattle.

------------------------
1883/06/02     "New Cars" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (June 2, 1883),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     Two new passenger railcars went into service on Conductor
     Baker's train on the PRR-Frazer.  They featured upholstery,
     walnut trim, wash stands, etc.

------------------------
1883/06/13     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (June 13, 1883), from the CCHS
               clippings file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania
               Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     "It is thought that the tracks of the West Chester and P. R.
     R. at Frazer will be completed and connection made with the
     Main Line during the present week."

------------------------
1883/06/28     "Not To Be" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (June 28, 1883),
               in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     Stationmaster McMichael has vowed to remove the loiterers
     that clutter up the Market Street station.

------------------------
1883/07/11     "Our Local Railroad Fares" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (July 11, 1883), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, West Chester & Phila. RR
               1881-1884." 

     This is a list of ticket fares available from various
     stations of the WC&PR to Philadelphia:

Station of origin            excursion fare    one-way fare
West Chester                 1.20              .80
Hemphill                     1.05              .77
Westtown                     .95               .72
Cheyney                      .90               .68
Glen Mills                   .80               .61
Darlington                   .75               .56
Wawa                         .72               .54
Lenni                        .70               .52
Glen Riddle                  .65               .60
Elwyn                        .60               .46
Media                        .55               .42
Manchester                   .55               .40
Wallingford                  .50               .38
Swarthnmore                  .45               .34
Morton                       .40               .30
Spring hill                  .35               .27
Oak Lane                     .35               .25
Clifton                      .30               .23
Kelleyville                  .30               .21
Lansdowne                    .25               .20
Fernwood                     .25               .17
Angora                       .20               .14
Forty-ninth Street           .15               .10

------------------------
1883/07/13     "Not Reduced" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 13, 1883),
               in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     Although there was a one-day excursion fare from West
     Chester to Philadelphia for $1.53, the regular fare remained
     $1.60 (round trip) despite calls by passengers for a fare
     reduction.

------------------------
1883/08/12     "Railroad notes" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 13,
               1883), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     Over 100 tickets were sold for travel from West Chester to
     Woodland Station to hear Sister Butcher preach and sing. 
     233 tickets were sold to Phoenixville.  Excursion tickets to
     Phoenixville cost 90 cents, but were only good for the day
     of purchase.

------------------------
1883/08/13     "The Largest" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 13,
               1883), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     According to Conductor Keech, this morning's passenger train
     to West Chester had the largest number of passengers ever
     carried over the PRR-Frazer.  Conductor Keech attributed
     this to the opening of the PRR-P&WC, which delivered two
     carloads of passengers from Phoenixville to Frazer for
     transfer to West Chester.

------------------------
1883/08/30     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 30, 1883)

     John Ryan, the freight hauler in West Chester, celebrated
     his 35th birthday.  He was born in Ireland (in 1848) and
     came to the USA at age 17 (1865).  He worked for the
     Germantown and Norristown RR from 1865-1869, and for the
     West Chester and Philadelphia RR from 1869-1879.  In 1879,
     he became the town's full-time freight hauler.

------------------------
1883/08/30     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 30, 1883), in CCHS
               clippings file, "West Chester Transportation;
               Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     Winfield Smedley was appointed caretaker of the engines at
     the Gay Street depot.

------------------------
1883/09/13     "Italians at Work" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September
               13, 1883), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     William J. McMorris of the PRR supervised a group of Italian
     workers who loaded cinders from around the turntable near
     the Gay Street depot.  They were hauled by train (engineer
     James Shank) for use as ballast at Phoenixville.

------------------------
1883/09/13     "Railroad Accident" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September
               13, 1883), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     A wreck occurred at Frazer about 4am on Thursday when cars
     were accidently left standing on the Main Line during a
     switching operation, and a west-bound freight struck them in
     the morning fog and darkness.  Trains were diverted onto the
     south track while a wreck train from Paoli cleared the
     wreckage, and service was little interrupted.

------------------------
1883/10/12     "Workmen's Car" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (October 12,
               1883), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Engine No. 60 pulled the regular freight between West
     Chester and Philadelphia.  It also hauled a single passenger
     car between West Chester and Powellton Avenues for the use
     of Pennsylvania Railroad workers.  Workers were carried out
     from Philadelphia in the morning and back in the evening. 
     illiam McLane was the conductor.

------------------------
1883/11/27     "Inspecting the Branches" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (November 27, 1883), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Inspectors from the Pennsylvania Railroad visited West
     Chester and inspected the branches running to the Gay Street
     and Market Street stations.

------------------------
1883/11/29     "Changing Engines" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November
               29, 1883), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Engine No.4, known as "Jumbo," will replace engine No. 936
     on the PRR-Frazer when it is sent to the shops for repairs.

------------------------
1883/12/03     "Want Better Accomodations" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (December 3, 1883), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     All of the stations on the PRR-Frazer have attached housing
     except for the Green Hill Station station.  The neighbors
     wanted the Pennsylvania Railroad to build a house there as
     well so that someone could rent it and keep away the tramps
     who currently use the Green Hill Station as a refuge. 
     "Ladies in particular who get on and off there are afraid to
     occupy it for fear of becoming infested with vermin from
     these tramps."

------------------------
1883/12/05     "Jumbo" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 5, 1883),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     The engine known as "Jumbo" replaced engine No. 936 on the
     PRR-Frazer.  Jumbo weighed 91,600 pounds and "stood well up
     in the air."  It had not proven successful on other runs
     because it could not carry enough coal, but on the short run
     from West Chester to Frazer, it was satisfactory.  Moreover,
     its great weight helped it "to climb the heavy grades over
     this branch."

------------------------
1883/12/10     "Low Fare" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 10,
               1883), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     The PRR introduced low-cost excursion fares of $1.20 round
     trip to Philadelphia for the holiday season.

------------------------
1883 date, maybe 1983).

     In the summers of 1883 and 1884, the Stackhouse brothers,
     Charles and Asoph, gave large parties at their Morstein
     estate near Woodland station.  One of their first "hops" was
     held in August 1883, and resulted in the arrest and a
     lawsuit against "disorderly characters who started a brawl." 
     The Stackhouses won their suit and one of the characters,
     Charles Waters, was fined 67 cents for using improper
     language during the trial.

------------------------
1884/02/12     "Fire" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 13, 1884), in
               CCHS clippings file "West Goshen Township,
               Transportation, Green Hill Station."

     Fire destroyed the small box station at Green Hill.  There
     was no ticket office and the "damage was trifling."

------------------------
1884/03/15     "Finished" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 15, 1884),
               in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     The Maple Street call stop on the West Chester-Frazer was
     completed.  It was located near the Hoopes Brothers & Thomas
     Nursery, directly opposite Pierce Hoopes' green house.

------------------------
1884/03/29     "Altering Tracks" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 29,
               1884), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The Pennsylvania Railroad was replacing the switch near the
     convent in West Chester that directed trains of the PRR-
     Frazer towards the Market Street station and away from the
     main line which continued to the Gay Street station.

------------------------
1884/04/01     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April 1, 1884), from the CCHS
               clippings file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania
               Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     A photograph was made of the "Frazer Comet" showing its
     crew, Joshua King, Timothy Moran and John Still.  "They look
     happy, brave and enduring in the picture."

------------------------
1884/04/23     "Gone to Altoona" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April 24,
               1884), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The locomotive "Jumbo" was sent from the PRR-Frazer to the
     PRR-Altoona shops to have its size reduced by half, since it
     was too bulky to operate effectively on the railroad, and
     broke down repeatedly.

------------------------
1884/04/26     "An Elephant Show at Frazer" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (April 26, 1884), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     A train carrying the Forepaugh Show from Philadelphia to
     Lancaster was delayed at Frazer when the axle of one of the
     cars carrying six elephants was found to have been bent. 
     The elephants were unloaded and the axle replaced, to the
     amusement of numerous onlookers.  After this was
     accomplished, the train continued safely to Lancaster.  The
     article noted that the door to the railcar was so low that
     the elephants had to exit on bended knees.

------------------------
1884/05/26     "Maple Avenue" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (May 26, 1884),
               in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     The firm of Hoopes Brothers & Thomas planted shrubs in front
     of the Maple Street station that spelled out the name of the
     station.

------------------------
1884/06/21     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (June 21, 1884), in CCHS
               clippings file, "West Chester Transportation;
               Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     Samuel Baker of Glen Mills resigned his position as
     baggagemaster at West Chester because the work was too heavy
     for him.

------------------------
1884/08/02     "They Weep O'er Its Fall" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (August 2, 1884), in CCHS clippings file, "West
               Chester Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     Gay Street merchants lamented the closing of the Gay Street
     depot by the PRR, and prayed for the early arrival of the
     Chester County Railroad to offer some competition to the
     PRR.

------------------------
1884/08/20     "Like It" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 20, 1884),
               in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     PRR conductors were supplied with their own private
     apartment in West Chester where they could sleep without
     being disturbed by the public.

------------------------
1884/09/27     "New Turn-Table" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September
               27, 1884), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     Ground was surveyed for a new turntable in the southeastern
     portion of the borough near the old round house.

------------------------
1884/11/13     "Getting Ready for Inspection" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (November 13, 1884), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Mo Register, the track foreman on the PRR-Frazer, was
     preparing for inspection of his branch by reballasting a
     portion of the tracks and regrading the cut between Woodland
     and Frazer, which suffered from several washouts this
     season.

------------------------
1884/12/24     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 24, 1884), from the
               CCHS clippings file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania
               Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     The PRR-P&WC branch from Frazer to Phoenixville was one of
     the least expensive and most profitable lines owned by the
     Pennsylvania Railroad because it offered a way for freight
     to reach the Schuykill Valley without passing through
     Philadelphia.

------------------------
1884-1891 James J. D. Lynch Jr., "The West Chester Branch" in THE
          HIGH LINE, vol. 8, no. 2 & 3 (Winter-Spring 1988), 25.

     Hemphill Station was renamed Oakbourne between 1884-1891.

------------------------
1885/01   James J. D. Lynch Jr., "The West Chester Branch" in THE
          HIGH LINE, vol. 8, no. 2 & 3 (Winter-Spring 1988), 25.

     In January 1885, the WC&PRR station in West Chester was
     badly damaged by fire, but repaired before the end of the
     year.  The structure was later reduced in size and
     eventually razed in 1985.

------------------------
1885/01/05     "A Sunday Morning Blaze" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (January 5, 1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     Last Sunday, fire damaged the PRR depot at Market Street in
     West Chester.  Good Will, Fame and West Chester Fire
     companies responded to a summons from police chief Shields. 
     They used fire plugs located opposite the station and about
     a block away in front of Dr. W. D. Hartman's residence.  

     Most of the west side of the station was damaged, and the
     cost of the damage was estimated by the reporter at over
     $2000.  The station caretaker, William Devaughan, had no
     idea of how the fire started.  Devaughan lived upstairs with
     his daughter Sarah.  The station watchman was Joseph
     Sweeney, and the nearest neighbor was Newton Taylor.  Elwood
     Lear was the ticket agent who tried to save tickets and
     other papers from the fire.

     The reporter thought it suspicious that a foreign woman,
     Lucretia Easter, born in Germany and resident in Baltimore,
     was alone in the station at the time the fire started.  She
     was questioned but not arrested.  The police chief also
     reported that the original alarm was turned in by an
     unidentified woman who spoke with an accent.  The reporter
     hinted that the two women might have been in cahoots.

------------------------
1885/01/08     "How It Was Saved" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 8,
               1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     The January 1885 fire at the West Chester railroad depot was
     caused in part by a broken gas chandelier in the main
     entrance hall.

------------------------
1885/01/09     "The Alterations at the Depot" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (January 9, 1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     Following the January 1885 fire, major renovations were
     performed on the depot to repair the damage and to improve
     efficiency.

------------------------
1885/02/13     "Railroad Notes" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 13,
               1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     Stationmaster McMichael, ticket agent Lear, and their clerks
     were still waiting for their new offices to be finished.

     There was a fight between two "colored" men in front of the
     station.  "The fight was declared a draw after the first
     round, but there are rumors of a continuance of the affair
     at some further time."

------------------------
1885/02/25     "A Wagon Containing Michael Finegan and Mrs.
               Terrel dashed into by a train" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (February 25, 1885), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     An accident occured last Tuesday evening near the switch to
     the siding for the Hoopes Brother and Thomas packing house. 
     Michael Finegan of West Goshen and Mrs. Mary Terrel were
     seriously injured when the 6:30pm train struck the rear of
     their wago as they crossed the tracks.  The train stopped
     under orders from Conductor William Baker and took then
     injured pair back to the Market Street Station, where
     Doctors Price and Dunn were summoned.  Mrs. Terrel was taken
     to her East Miner Street home, and Mr. Finegan was taken in
     by a friend, Michael Clark, who lived near the station. 
     Both were up and about the enxt day.

     An accident on the same site "some years ago" killed two
     daughters of the late Robert Hughes of Charleston.

------------------------
1885/02/26     "Moved Into New Quarters" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (February 26, 1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     This article reports that the work of remodeling the West
     Chester Market Street train station after the January 1885
     fire was finally complete.  It also lists the entire staff
     at the station:
          McMichael, W. M., stationmaster
          Lear, , ticket agent
          Bobb, Elmer, freight clerk
          Heston, Isaac, freight clerk
          Devaughn, William, watchman
          Sweeney, Joseph, watchman
          Burnett, Josiah, car record clerk
          Maxwell, David, baggage agent

     A round-trip ticket to Philadelphia cost $1.25.

     The locomotive Jumbo was "ill" again and in the PRR shops.

------------------------
1885/02/26     "Did Not Whistle" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February
               26, 1885), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     James Riley, an eyewitness to the accident that injured
     Michael Finegan and Mary Terrel, claimed that the train did
     not sound its whistle before the crossing as usual.  Riley
     said he tried to warn the pair, but his shouts must have
     been lost in the sound of the train's wheels passing through
     the snow.

------------------------
1885/03/09     "Appointment" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 9, 1885),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     Charles J. Adamson of Phoenixville was appointed real estate
     agent for the Pennsylvania Railroad under John C. Wilson,
     with responsibility for the railroad's property between
     Philadelphia and Reading.  He was already instrumental in
     acquiring the land for the Pennsylvania Schuykill Valley
     Railroad [the Pennsylvania Railroad line from Philadelphia's
     52nd Street to Reading via Phoenixville.]

------------------------
1885/03/23     "Proud of It" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 23,
               1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     Terence Finegan, the watchman at the Market Street crossing,
     had a new wooden guard house.  It was larger than the old
     one, and finished with hardwood on the inside.

------------------------
1885/04/04     "Home Again" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April 4, 1885),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     Engine No. 4, driven by Joshua King on the PRR-Frazer,
     returned to service following repairs to damage sustained in
     an accident.  King's conductor Keech was also happy to have
     his old coach back again, as it too had been damaged in the
     accident.

------------------------
1885/04/17     "New Screens" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April 17,
               1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     Eight new galvanized screens were placed on the windows of
     the freight and ticket offices at the West Chester station
     on Market Street.

------------------------
1885/04/17     "On Duty Again" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April 17,
               1885), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Engine No. 4, known as "Jumbo," returned to service after
     repairs following an accident ("much to the regret of the
     train crew"), looking like new, thanks to the new paint job
     and repairs.

------------------------
1885/05/04     "White Hats" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (May 4, 1885),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     This morning, the conductors on the PRR-Frazer and the
     Central Division of the Philadelphia, Wilmington and
     Baltimore Railroad (PW&BRR) donned their white summer caps
     "They looked neat and trim, and there was a cool look about
     their heads."

------------------------
1885/05/09     "The P. R. R. Company Sued" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (May 9, 1885), in the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     District Attorney Wanger of West Chester brought suit
     against the PRR to recover 78 cents, the price of a ticket
     from Frazer to Philadelphia.  He bought a ticket in West
     Chester for Philadelphia, but boarded the 7:50 train
     (conductor Keech) which only went as far as Frazer.  He was
     forced to board the Parkesville Express, but since his
     ticket said, "Good for this day and train only," the
     conductor on the new train made him buy an additional
     ticket.  Attorney Wanger paid, but then brought suit before
     Squire Whitehead as soon as returned from Philadelphia.

------------------------
1885/05/29     "New Sleeping Arrangements" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (May 29, 1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     The PRR installed metal cots with springs on the second
     floor of the Market Street station for the use of crews who
     had to spend the night.  Previously, they slept on train
     seats of a passenger car.

------------------------
1885/07/03     "Want a Station" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 3,
               1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     Residents of the southern portion of the borough petitioned
     the PRR to create a passenger station at Nields Street.

------------------------
1885/07/14     "Completed" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 14, 1885),
               in CCHS clippings file "West Goshen Township,
               Transportation, Green Hill Station."

     PRR workmen completed a new waiting shed at Green Hill. 
     "The building is striped in maroon, and looks quite cozy as
     well as fancy."

------------------------
1885/07/17     "Wanted Badly" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 17,
               1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     Patrons of the PRR and WC&PRR complained that neither
     company had a water cooler at the station.  The Broad Street
     station in Philadelphia was already equipped with one.

------------------------
1885/07/28     "Very Annoying" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 28,
               1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     Residents near the old turntable north of the former Gay
     Street station complained that the railroad started up and
     idled locomotives early in the morning.  That, plus the
     smoke and soot from the engines which entered their houses
     when the wind was from the east, was very annoying.

------------------------
1885/08/13     "Heavy Freight" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 13,
               1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     The largest freight train in West Chester history left
     Wednesday at 12:30pm.  It pulled 35 cars, 14 of which came
     from the Frazer branch.

------------------------
1885/08/21     "A New Station" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 21,
               1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     A covered station was completed for the Maple Avenue stop on
     the PRR-Frazer in West Chester.

------------------------
1885/09/24     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 24, 1885), in CCHS
               clipping file: "West Chester Transportation, PA.
               RR 1885."

     Work was underway to add a third story to the Market Street
     depot in West Chester.

------------------------
1885/10/15     "Painted Brown" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (October 15,
               1885), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1885."

     Two brown-painted steam radiators were installed in the
     waiting room of the Market Street depot.  They were not yet
     operative because the boilers still needed to be installed.

------------------------
1885/12/23     "Gay Street Station Almost a Complete Wreck" in
               DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 23, 1885), in CCHS
               clipping file: "West Chester Transportation, PA.
               RR 1885."

     An accident destroyed the baggage room at the old Gay Street
     station.  A single brakeman, Winfield Brown (working with
     engineer James Shunk), failed to control eight empty cars on
     the downgrade across Chestnut Street.  They plowed into the
     old depot and caused extensive damage.

     Engineer Joshua King used the baggage room as a store room,
     and many of his possession were buried in rubble, including
     his watch and his overcoat, but his turkey survived the
     wreck.  

     The Painter family had a carriage stored in the station that
     was also destroyed.

------------------------
1886/01/02     Observer, untitled, in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January
               2, 1886), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     There was a large open fire place in use in the PRR depot's
     waiting room.  This author thought it was much better than a
     modern closed heater, and applauded the ventilation of a
     room equipped with a fire place.

------------------------
1886/01/09     "At the Depot" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 9,
               1886), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     Train service was interrupted by a snowstorm that left huge
     drifts upon the tracks.

------------------------
1886/04/14     "At the P.R.R. Depot" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April
               14, 1886), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     "Idle colored boys to the number of a half-hundred play
     marbles in the sunlight at the rear of the depot."

------------------------
1886/06/12     "Railroad Wants Men" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (June 12,
               1886), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     The railroad posted a sign in front of Theo. Otley's on
     Market Street asking for 25 workers.  Otley was not sure
     what they were expected to do, but guessed that it was to
     "shovel dirt" for improvements on the PRR-Frazer.

------------------------
1886/06/15     "An Important Improvement" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (June 15, 1886), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     The PRR prepared to raise the bridge over Barnard Street by
     20 inches.  This would require them to raise the entire
     railroad yard by the same amount.

------------------------
1886/07   "Chestnut Street Bridge" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 29,
          1886), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
          Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     The PRR constructed a bridge over the PRR-Frazer at Chestnut
     Street in West Chester out of red sandstone blocks.  John
     Grant was the contractor.

------------------------
1886/07/10     "Light at the Depot" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 10,
               1886), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     Two 100-candle power electric lights were hung at the
     passenger shed on the east side of the Market Street depot
     on a trial basis.

------------------------
1886/08/02     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 2, 1886), in CCHS
               clipping file: "West Chester Transportation, PA.
               RR 1886-1887."

     The PRR depot was illuminated with electric lights for the
     first time.

------------------------
1886/11/10     "Loungers Barred Out" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (November 10, 1886), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     To combat loiterers, station master McMichael issued a rule
     that the station doors were to be kept locked until 15
     minutes before the departure of Sunday trains.

------------------------
1887/01/26     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 26, 1887), in CCHS
               clipping file: "West Chester Transportation, PA.
               RR 1886-1887."

     The Union News company planned to open a kiosk in the PRR
     station with John Nixon as its agent.

------------------------
1887/01/26     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 26, 1887), in CCHS
               clipping file: "West Chester Transportation, PA.
               RR 1886-1887."

     M. B. Reynolds was appointed stationmaster in West Chester
     to replace W. A. McMichael. McMichael was suspended after
     his ticket agent, Ellwood Lear, disappeared with a shortage
     of nearly $1700 in his cash draw.  Although Lear left a bond
     of $1000, as his supervisor, McMichael was responsible for
     the balance.

     Reynolds was originally from Chester County and had served
     in Kennett, Oxford and Media as a railroad agent.  Most
     recently, he was in Fort Smith, Arkansas.

     Lear took the money from the Adam's Express Company bag,
     deducting $100 a night and falsifying the remittance sheet
     for the last 20 days before he disappeared.  On his last
     night at work, he took $350.

     McMichael was also bonded for $8000.  His bondsmen were his
     father-in-law, Wm. Penn Evans of West Chester, and a
     gentleman in Marietta.

------------------------
1887/01/27     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 27, 1887), in CCHS
               clipping file: "West Chester Transportation, PA.
               RR 1886-1887."

     Lear left behind a wife and two children in West Chester. 
     One child was only a few days old.  His father was West
     Chester councilman Charles Lear.

------------------------
1887/01/28     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 28, 1887), in CCHS
               clipping file: "West Chester Transportation, PA.
               RR 1886-1887."

     Ellwood Lear was ticket agent in West Chester for four
     years.  After he disappeared from West Chester, he was seen
     by several people in Philadelphia.

     Lear left West Chester on the third train of the morning via
     the PRR-Frazer line.  While on the train, he spoke with and
     offered a cigar to baggagemaster John Still.

     Citizens of West Chester circulated a petition asking the
     PRR to restore McMichael's position as general freight and
     ticket agent.

------------------------
1887/02/28     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 28, 1887), in CCHS
               clipping file: "West Chester Transportation, PA.
               RR 1886-1887."

     The Union News stand opened at the PRR station.  The
     announcement also mentions that before the DAILY LOCAL NEWS
     opened, there were no newsboys in the borough, but now there
     were at least a hundred.

------------------------
1887/03/19     "Caught in the Act" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 19,
               1887), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     Janitor Jacob Devaughn was caught pilfering money from the
     ticket office at the PRR by ticket agent A. Brown, who
     spotted him by sleeping in a closet in the building. 
     Devaughn admitted to taking fifty cents or a dollar at a
     time, and a total of $18 was missing.  Devaughn was fired
     but not arrested, owing to the fact that he had a family.

------------------------
1887/03/26     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 26, 1887), in CCHS
               clipping file: "West Chester Transportation, PA.
               RR 1886-1887."

     Millard Snare was transferred from the depot to work
     cleaning cars at the Market Street station.  He was replaced
     by James Bell.

------------------------
1887/03/26     "Notes at the Depot" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March
               26, 1887), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     Millard Snare was promoted from the position of helper in
     the freight department to car sweeper, replacing William
     Devaughn.

     A colored woman kept the "ladies' department in apple pie
     order."

     Conductor Ferry recently received a surprise party and vowed
     to pay everyone back in kind.

------------------------
1887/04/23     "A Commotion Among Hackmen" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (April 23, 1887, in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     Stationmaster Reynolds caused a commotion among West
     Chester's taxi drivers by announcing his intent to follow
     the PRR rule that forbade the cabs from blocking the front
     of the station.

------------------------
1887/04/30     "A New Agent" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April 30,
               1887), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     W. P. Evans became the new news agent for the Union News
     Company at the West Chester station.

------------------------
1887/05/03     "Reinstated" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (May 3, 1887), in
               CCHS clipping file: "West Chester Transportation,
               PA. RR 1886-1887."

     McMichael was reinstated as West Chester stationmaster
     following an investigation into the theft by Ellwood Lear.

------------------------
1887/06/16     "It Stops at Maple Avenue" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (June 17, 1887), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     The fast train to Philadelphia over the PRR-Frazer began to
     stop at the Maple Street station in West Chester.

------------------------
1887/09/15     "Tickets Sold" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 15,
               1887), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     About 600 tickets were sold this morning for the trip to
     Philadelphia.  The railroad expected to sell about one
     hundred more in the afternoon.

------------------------
1887/11/30     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 30, 1887), in CCHS
               clipping file: "West Chester Transportation, PA.
               RR 1886-1887."

     William Buxton replaced the regular engineer, Smith
     Lawrence, on train no. 217.

------------------------
1887/12/09     "The Freight Tariff Increased" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (December 9, 1887), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     Freight rates on in West Chester were raised to earlier
     levels.  The rates were as follows:
period        1st   2nd 3rd 4th  5th class
pre-1887/04   16    14   11 8    n/a
post-1887/04  13    10   8  7.5  6.5 cents

     Now the rates were back up to the pre-April rates.

------------------------
1887/12/14     A thirsty traveler, untitled, in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (December 14, 1887), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, PA. RR 1886-1887."

     There was no water available at the PRR station for patrons
     to drink.

------------------------
1888      WEST CHESTER, PENNSYLVANIA: THE MOST IMPORTANT SUBURB
          OF PHILADELPHIA (Published under the auspices of the
          Board of Trade, 1888), 80. 

     An advertisement for Abram G. Williams, a furniture dealer
     and undertaker, 39 West Gay Street, West Chester, Penna. 
     Note: "Funerals arriving here by railroad can be furnished
     with carriages and hearse at the lowest prices."

------------------------
1888/03/07     W. P. H., "The New Station" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (March 7, 1888), from the CCHS clippings file. 

     There was a call in West Chester for the construction of an
     additional railway station on the south side of town, thanks
     to the demand from students and professors at the State
     Normal School.  The choice for names included either
     "Nields" or "Normal."

------------------------
1888/06/19     "Green Hill Station Burned" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (June 20, 1885), in CCHS clippings file "West
               Goshen Township, Transportation, Green Hill
               Station."

     The second Green Hill station burned and was almost
     destroyed, presumably by sparks from a passing locomotive.

------------------------
1888/06/21     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (June 21, 1888), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     The PRR tracks were raised in one day between the Barnard
     Street bridge and the North Matlack Street station by a work
     crew of nearly fifty men.

------------------------
1888/11/20     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 20, 1888), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     Officer Win. Gheen provided security at the PRR station on
     North Matlack Street.

------------------------
1888 survivor" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (no date, 1988?).

     The village of Morstein was founded in the late 19th century
     around the Woodland station of the PRR-Frazer.  At first,
     the residents applied for a post office under the name of
     Pembrooke, but were refused.  A second application was
     accepted and the village was known as Zermatt from 1888-
     1900.  Morstein is situated about 500 feet above sea-level.

     In the 1880s, Philadelphia residents began to travel by
     train to resort hotels along the Main Line.  A syndicate
     considered building such a hotel on 600 acres around the
     Zermatt station, to be called "Rock Eerie," but it was never
     built.

------------------------
1889/01/16     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 16, 1889), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     Mr. McMichael was the PRR station master at North Matlack
     Street.

------------------------
1889/01/24     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 24, 1889), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     James McFadden was the section boss who directed PRR track
     operations in West Chester.

------------------------
1889/02/13     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 13, 1889), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     Mrs. Lamborn, the woman who took care of the PRR station at
     North Matlack Street, reported to Officer Gheen that she had
     trouble with rowdy "colored" loiterers.

------------------------
1889/03/05     "Timetables" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 5, 1889),
               from the CCHS clippings file. 

     The RR timetable for West Chester showed that there were 24
     trains to Philadelphia daily, and 10 trains on Sunday.

------------------------
1889/07/17     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 17, 1889), from the CCHS
               clippings file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania
               Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     "Jumbo," the locomotive that was frequently in the repair
     shops, was permanently retired.  Engine No. 243 took over on
     the daily trains between West Chester and Frazer.

------------------------
1889/10/12     "Petition for a Station" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (October 12, 1889), in CCHS clippings file "West
               Goshen Township, Transportation, Green Hill
               Station."

     Local residents petitioned the PRR to build an enclosed
     station at Green Hill where one could keep a fire going for
     the comfort off the passengers.

------------------------
1889/12/30     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 30, 1889), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     Mrs. Lamborn and Joseph Sweney were responsible for cleaning
     the PRR station at North Matlack Street.

------------------------
1890/01/21     Editorial in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 21, 1890),
               from the CCHS clippings file. 

     Evidently, there were people, mostly railroad pass holders,
     who ran for the train at the last minute.  The author of
     this editorial thought this exposed them to senseless
     danger.  The rail pass holders knew they didn't need to
     arrive early enough to buy a ticket, so they got in the
     habit of leaving at the last minute to catch the morning
     train to Philadelphia.

------------------------
1890/04/22     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April 22, 1890), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     J. Kennard Jones returned as the baggage master at the PRR
     station on Market Street, replacing Charles Samples, after
     several weeks temporary assignment as the assistant operator
     in Oxford.

------------------------
1890/06/23     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (June 23, 1890), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     The PRR station got its first water cooler.

------------------------
1890/07/05     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 5, 1890), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     Frank Patton, the telegraph operator at the PRR station on
     Market Street, was promoted to the Media station and
     replaced by William S. Valentine of Avondale.

------------------------
1890/07/10     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 10, 1890), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     According to a count by a reporter of the Daily Local News, 
     over 460 people got water from the water cooler in the PRR
     station waiting room on one day.

------------------------
1890/08/16     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 16, 1890), in CCHS
               clippings file "West Goshen Township,
               Transportation, Green Hill Station."

     A new station was under construction at Green Hill on the
     PRR-Frazer.  It was two-and-a-half stories high and "of the
     latest style of architecture."  A family was to occupy the
     upstairs apartment, after the station was completed in
     September.

------------------------
1890/09/04     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 4, 1890), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     The Pennsylvania Railroad was in the process of building a
     new railway station at the south end of town on Adams
     Street, across the tracks from the Pennsylvania Railroad
     yard.

------------------------
1890/09/25     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 25, 1890), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     Lamborn, Sweney and D. E. Townsend worked at the PRR
     station.

------------------------
1890/12/10     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 10, 1890), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     Loitering at the PRR station was greatly reduced in recent
     weeks.

------------------------
1891/02/07     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 7, 1891), in CCHS
               clippings file "West Goshen Township,
               Transportation, Green Hill Station."

     Richard Walker opened the new Green Hill station on the PRR-
     Frazer.

------------------------
1891-1894 James J. D. Lynch Jr., "The West Chester Branch" in THE
          HIGH LINE, vol. 8, no. 2 & 3 (Winter-Spring 1988), 33.

     From 1891-1894, WC&PRR trains to Philadelphia stopped at the
     old station at 31st and Chestnut while renovations were
     underway at the Broad Street station.

------------------------
1892/01/20     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 20, 1892), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     After the borough of West Chester decided to extend East
     Nields Street past the Pennsylvania Railroad tracks to the
     borough line at Bolmar Street, a jury awarded damages of
     $300 to A. D. Sharples and $105 to Pennsylvania Railroad.

------------------------
1892/03/23     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 23, 1892), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     Mr. Gillingham was the ticket agent at the PRR station.

------------------------
1892/03/30     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 30, 1892), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     John J. Pinkerton was the attorney for the PRR.

------------------------
1892/04/06     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April 6, 1892), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     East Nields Street crossed the Pennsylvania Railroad "Media
     Line" at "an ugly grade crossing" near the engine house. 
     The extension of East Nields Street offered a convenience to
     farmers from southeast of town.

------------------------
1892/07/14     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 14, 1892), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     Clement Proctor of West Chester got the contract to
     whitewash the PRR station.

------------------------
1892/09/02     "What I Saw at the Station at West Chester"
               reprinted from the POTTSTOWN LEDGER of Wednesday,
               in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 2, 1892), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     This article describes the procession of people who used the
     water cooler at the PRR station.

------------------------
1892/11/10     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 10, 1892), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     Mr. Finnegan, the gatekeeper for the PRR crossing at Market
     Street, worked more than 12 hours each day.  He began before
     the first train left at 06h00, and stayed until after the
     18h00 train arrived from Philadelphia.  That meant the
     crossing was unguarded for the last four hours of the day.

------------------------
1892/11/25     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 25, 1892), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     Mr. Finnegan's hours as gatekeeper at the Market Street RR
     crossing were extended to after the departure of the 22h27
     train to Philadelphia.  That meant he worked more than 16
     hours each day.

------------------------
1892/11/25     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 25, 1892), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     A train struck a horse-drawn meat wagon belonging to S. A.
     Conradt at the Union Street grade level crossing.  Although
     neither Mr. Conradt nor his horse were injured, the wagon
     was destroyed.  Charles Riley Jr. was an eyewitness.

------------------------
1892/11/26     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 26, 1892), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     Frank Burnett was head of the PRR station fire company.

------------------------
1892/12/30     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 30, 1892), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     A year-long rail pass between Philadelphia and West Chester
     cost $123, up from $80 some time earlier.  The trip was
     slow, normally taking from one hour to one-and-a-quarter
     hours one-way, and sometimes as long as two hours.  There
     were many complaints from passengers.

------------------------
1892/12/30     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 30, 1892), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     A meeting of PRR patrons led to a petition calling for
     better railway service.  Among the participants at the
     meeting were Wm. B. Waddell, Thomas P. Worrall, Wm. S. Kirk,
     Charles Paxson, Edward S. Paxson, Jos. Kift Jr., Wm. T.
     Barber, Edw. Barber, Professor J. T. Rothrock, James C.
     Sellers, Col. A. A. Houke, L. B. Eyster, Thos. T. Smith,
     Jerome B. Gray, Hugh DeHaven, John B. Lucas, Thos. B.
     Taylor, Samuel D. Ramsey, Joseph Hemphill, J. Sergeant, W.
     W. MacElree, Wm. S. Kirk, Robert Emmett Monaghan, E. Dallett
     Hemphill, Joseph Thompson, John S. Lucas, Henry H. Pyle, and
     William Scattergood.

------------------------
1893/05/18     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (May 18, 1893), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     Terence Finnegan, the gatekeeper at the PRR crossing on
     Market Street, now had help from Daniel Clancy, who worked
     the twelve hour night shift.  The article noted that
     Finnegan "uses no tobacco or whiskey in any form."

------------------------
1893/07/06     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 6, 1893), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     West Chester Streets Commissioner Eachus led an inspection
     of the East Nields Street extension.  At the time, a gang of
     mostly Irish laborers were clearing brush and briars from
     the "jungle" on the Pennsylvania Railroad property.  They
     obtained fill dirt to raise East Nields Street to the level
     of the railroad from an excavation for an alley on property
     owned by P. J. Jefferis, which ran from Matlack to Walnut
     Streets between Nields and Lacy Streets.

------------------------
1893/08/25     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 25, 1893), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     The superintendent of the PRR station on Market Street was
     W. A. McMichael.

------------------------
1893/09/12     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 12, 1893), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     The borough of West Chester built a "substantial bridge" on
     East Nields Street over the small creek just east of the
     Pennsylvania Railroad tracks.

------------------------
1893/09/21     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 21, 1893), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     The conductor on the PRR Media Branch was Miller.

------------------------
1893/11/11     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 11, 1893), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     People scavenged coal lumps at night using lanterns, from
     around the locomotive turntable located at Chestnut and
     North Matlack Streets.  They were tempted by the regular
     coal pile nearby, but railway guards kept them away.

------------------------
1893/12/08     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 8, 1893), from the CCHS
               clippings file. 

     The news agent of the PRR station on Market Street was
     Townsend.

------------------------
1893/12/15     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 15, 1893), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     The resident cleaning woman of the PRR station on Market
     Street was Mrs. Kate Lamborn.

------------------------
1893/12/20     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 20, 1893), from the
               CCHS clippings file. 

     Two workers were fired at the PRR freight station, Eugene
     Talley and "one of the car cleaners."  That left only Frank
     Burnett to handle all freight loading and unloading.

------------------------

---   Go to the top of this page, Riggtown Home or the HIS480 Syllabus   ---

Copyright 2010 by Dr. James A. Jones