welcome to Riggtown logo

History of the West Chester Railroad from 1879-1882

---   Go to Riggtown Home or the HIS480 Syllabus   ---

This file contains assorted facts from Chester County history collected by students in the HIS480 "Computer methods of historical research" class at West Chester University. Each fact consists of specific information, a reference note to its source, and a date. The "facts" are organized in chronological order.

This file has not been completely proofread, nor have the sources been verified, so use this material with caution.

Collected by Jim Jones, David Flogaus, Kelly Kulp-Bosler, Mike Wolford and Bob Gialanella (Spring 1995). Additional information collected by Daniel Cleary, John Morrison, Scott Harre, and Robert Troutman (Spring 1996); and by Nicole Bowman, Karin Flippin, Mary Kurtak, Kelly McVeigh, Wendy Smoker, and Brian Toombes (Spring 1997). Last edited by Jim Jones (August 9, 1997).

Special thanks to Don Callander of the West Chester Railroad Company for providing notes, photocopies and other materials.

---   Go to Riggtown Home or the HIS480 Syllabus   ---


1879/08/08     "The Pennsylvania Malvern Branch: The New Order of
               Things Begun" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 8,
               1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     The PRR took possession of the old WCRR line from Malvern to
     West Chester on August 8, 1879.  The first train arrive in
     West Chester was pulled by locomotive No. 936 carrying
     engineer [Joshua] King, conductor Keech and fireman Timothy
     Moran to West Chester.  They were accompanied by a brakeman
     and Mr. Black, the superintendent of the motive power of the
     PRR Eastern Division.  They also brought workmen and two
     carloads of lumber with which to construct a temporary depot
     on Walnut Street.  Until the temporary depot was finished in
     about a week's time, trains used the old depot on Market
     Street.

     The old schedule remained in effect until the following
     Monday.

     There was a dispute between the PRR and the Borough of West
     Chester about the location of the temporary depot, which was
     solved after a meeting between officials on both sides.  The
     PRR contingent included civil engineer T. A. Roberts,
     Superintendent Lockard, George W. Paxson, and Supervisor of
     the Eastern Division John McGraw.  McGraw was appointed to
     supervise the new line for the PRR, and construction of the
     depot was encharged to boss carpenter W. K. Beard.

------------------------
1879/08/14     "The Pennsylvania Branch--About the Passenger
               Rates" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 14, 1879), from
               the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad"

     The PRR decided to set its passenger fares between West
     Chester and Philadelphia at the same rate as that on the
     WC&PRR, according to PRR Vice President Roberts.  Roberts
     added that it was only because of passengers desiring to
     travel west from West Chester that the line was to be kept
     open while the improvements were underway.

------------------------
1879/08/15     "Going by the New Route" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (August 15, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The Pennsylvania Railroad reduced the price of passage from
     West Chester to Philadelphia over the PRR-Frazer, and drew
     passenger business away from the WC&PRR.

------------------------
1879/08/16     "The Result" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 16,
               1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Mr. Preston D. Lewis of Pleasant Grove, Ton Road Station,
     sold land to the Pennsylvania Railroad for their new line
     from Frazer to West Chester.

------------------------
1879/08/18     "West Chester Branch of Penna DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (August 18, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     The PRR announced its plans for the improvement of the WCRR
     line.  It planned to straighten the curve near McCall's
     station, straighten the track between Woodland Station and
     August John's schoolhouse, and relay the track with steel
     rails.  On Sunday, fifteen carloads of railroad ties were
     distributed along the line.

------------------------
1879/08/20     "Ties on the West Chester Railroad" in DAILY LOCAL
               NEWS (August 20, 1879), from the CCHS clippings
               file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     PRR inspectors counted 33,000 ties on the WCRR and concluded
     that only 2,000 were so defective that they needed to be
     replaced.

------------------------
1879/08/23     "Awarded" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 23, 1879),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     Mr John Keller of Lancaster received the contract to grade
     and build the new railroad between Frazer and Woodland.  He
     will have to move about 35,000 yards of soil (half fill;
     half cut) and complete the work in sixty days.  The old
     rails from Woodland to Malvern will continue to carry
     freight and serve as a siding.

------------------------
1879/08/29     "Freight Rates on the Malvern Branch" in DAILY
               LOCAL NEWS (August 29, 1879), from the CCHS
               clippings file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania
               Railroad"

     The PRR instituted the following rates for freight shipped
     from West Chester to Philadelphia on the PRR-Malvern branch
     line, according to Assistant General Freight Agent, Mr
     Griffeths. 

Class     cost      weight
First     $0.16     cts
Second    $0.14     cts
Third     $0.11     cts
Fourth    $0.08     cts
   A      $1.00     ton
   B      $0.80     ton
Coal      $0.40     ton (to any point between Kirkland and West
                    Chester).

------------------------
1879/08/30     "At Work" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 30, 1879),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     Twenty-five men were at work on the portion of the PRR-
     Frazer between Frazer and Woodland.

------------------------
1879/09/02     "The New Brakeman" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (eptember
               2, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     Hugh J. Fox was transferred from the PRR Main Line to the
     PPR-Malvern branch, replacing brakeman Lack.

------------------------
1879/09/03     "Telegraph for the West Chester Railroad" in DAILY
               LOCAL NEWS (September 3, 1879), from the CCHS
               clippings file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania
               Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     The Pennsylvania Railroad had plans to construct a telegraph
     line along the PRR-Frazer right-of-way from West Chester to
     Frazer.  The project would require 300 poles to cover nine
     miles. (160 feet between poles).

------------------------
1879/09/04     "Straightening Worthington's Curve" in DAILY LOCAL
               NEWS (September 4, 1879), from the CCHS clippings
               file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad,
               Frazer Branch" 

     Mr. John Grant of WC straightened the rails at
     "Worthington's curve" near McCall's station (later known as
     Fern Hill station).  The main job was excavating about 7000
     cubic yards of earth using men, horses and carts.  "This
     will give employment to a large number of men, and Mr. Grant
     proposes to employ those living in West Chester and
     vicinity--those who have homes here and are interested in
     the prosperity and advancement of our Borough."

------------------------
1879/09/08     "Commenced Work" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 8,
               1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     John Grant began work this morning to straighten
     Worthington's curve.  His crew had about 35 men and the work
     was observed by about sixty onlookers.

------------------------
1879/09/09     "A Chance for our Contractors" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (September 9, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Pennsylvania Railroad called for bids on different portions
     of the PRR-Frazer construction work, due by 9am on September
     15.

------------------------
1879/09/10     "Laying Steel Rails" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (September 10, 1879), from the CCHS clippings
               file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad,
               Frazer Branch" 

     The Pennsylvania Railroad had already replaced a half mile
     of WCRR track with steel rails "at and near Woodland
     station" and planned to replace all other rails that were
     not to be altered for other reasons (such as straightening
     Worthington's curve).

------------------------
1879/09/15     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 15, 1879), from the
               CCHS clippings file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania
               Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     About eighty men, all from West Chester, were at work
     rebuilding the PRR-Frazer.

------------------------
1879/09/15     "West Chester Railroad Meeting" in DAILY LOCAL
               NEWS (September 5, 1879), from the CCHS clippings
               file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     A meeting of stockholders of the old WCRR was called to
     authorize a mortgage to issue company bonds worth $75,000,
     and to lease the railroad to the PRR.

------------------------
1879/09/15     "The First Pay Car" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September
               15, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     On Saturday, workers on the PRR-Malvern received their first
     pay from a pay train that also carried Superintendent
     Lockard, who inspected the work.

------------------------
1879/09/24     "Contract Completed" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (September 24, 1879), from the CCHS clippings
               file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad,
               Frazer Branch" 

     Today, John Grant completed the grading for the new track at
     Worthington's Curve near McCall's Station, in fifteen days
     instead of the allotted thirty days.

------------------------
1879/09/30     "Postponed" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 30,
               1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     There was a report that the Pennsylvania Railroad had
     changed its plans and instead of finishing the new line from
     Frazer to Woodland, intended to replace the rails from
     Malvern to Woodland with steel rails.

------------------------
1879/10/10     "Stopped Work" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (October 10,
               1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Workers on the PRR-Frazer on the Wells property near
     Kirkland were ordered to stop their work until damages were
     assessed.

------------------------
1879/10/16     "Reducing a Curve" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (October
               16, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The Pennsylvania Railroad obtained a strip of land from
     Hoopes Brothers & Thomas Nursery, west of the convent, so
     they could reduce the curve from ten to four degrees.

------------------------
1879/11/06     "Change of Conductors" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (November 6, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     Charles Romans, a conductor on the PRR Main Line, was
     transferred to the PRR-Malvern and assigned to the "fast
     train" that left West Chester first in the morning, made a
     roundtrip between Philadelphia and Paoli during the day, and
     returned to West Chester in the evening.  He was replaced on
     the Main Line by Conductor Sims so that Sims could get home
     two or three nights a week.  Conductor Romans was the
     brother of a member of the Philadelphia City Council.  JJ:
     Note: an article dated December 2, 1879, describes the
     original transfer of these two conductors, but spells their
     names as Rowan and Seins.

------------------------
1879/11/06     "Straightening the Curve" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (November 6, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The workers on the PRR-Frazer moved the curve a few feet
     closer to the brick kilns on the edge of town.

------------------------
1879/11/07     "To Be Ready by Christmas" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (November 7, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The PRR-Frazer branch should be finished by Christmas.  The
     Pennsylvania Railroad had begun to settle the damage claim
     presented by Benjamin Kugler and a new one, for damage to
     his woodlands, by Mr. Lockwood.

------------------------
1879/11/10     "Nearly Completed" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November
               10, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The work of straightening Worthington's curve was nearly
     completed next to the Hoopes Brothers and Thomas nursery at
     the edge of the borough.  The work consisted of leveling a
     knoll along the nearby carriage path that passed along the
     edge of the nursery, and using it to build an embankment
     that widened the curve.

------------------------
1879/11/11     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 11, 1879), from the
               CCHS clippings file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania
               Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     Mr. Costigan and Mr. Baldwin were contractors on section 4
     of the new portion of the PRR-Frazer.  They were nearly
     finished in the area of the Richard White bridge on a road
     leading to the Lancaster Pike.  Mr. Quinn was the masonry
     contractor on sections 3 and 4.  He began work last Tuesday.

------------------------
1879/11/12     "Increasing Their Force" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (November 12, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Contractors on the portion of the PRR-Frazer between
     Woodland and Frazier recently added 125 new men.  They
     expected to complete all the grading for the new track by
     New Year's Day.

------------------------
1879/11/12     "The Estimated Cost of Relaying the . C. Banch of
               the P. R. R." in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 12,
               1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The estimated cost of materials used to relay the PRR-Frazer
     with 60-lb steel rails and new ties, not including any
     alterations to the route, was $7,800 (The distance was 6
     miles from West Chester to Frazier, there were 2400
     ties/mile, etc.  The complete clipping provides a detailed
     breakdown).  The labor cost for tracklayers and ditching was
     $400/mile.  Stone ballast would cost an additional $17,160. 
     The total cost for relaying and straightening was $55,100.

------------------------
1879/11/13     "The P DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 13, 1879), from
               the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     Forty horsecarts and 120 men were working at the Frazer end
     of the line to finish the new section of the PRR-Frazer by
     January 1, 1880.  John Grant's work at Kirkland was nearly
     finished.  When the rails were finished, the owners of the
     Pennsylvania Railroad expected to be able to operate an
     express train between Frazer and West Chester in nine
     minutes (over 6.5 miles at a speed of roughly 45mph).

------------------------
1879/11/16     "Work on the Pennsylvania Railroad" in DAILY LOCAL
               NEWS (November 17, 1879), from the CCHS clippings
               file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad,
               Frazer Branch" 

     Many West Chester citizens took advantage of good weather to
     walk out and view the construction sites along the PRR-
     Frazer.  The work went more quickly than anyone expected.

------------------------
1879/11/24     "Notes on the W. C. Branch of the P. R. R." in
               (November 24, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     In addition to ballasting the entire line, the Pennsylvania
     Railroad constructed milk stations along the line so that
     farmers could ship their milk to Philadelphia, and added
     switches for new sidings (including one that used the old
     track at Worthington's curve).  The work was slowed by the
     recent fall in temperature, but the author predicted
     completion and full operation by April 1, 1880.

------------------------
1879/11/27     "Curve finished" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 27,
               1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The Pennsylvania Railroad completed a siding from the PRR-
     Frazer to the main warehouse of the Hoopes Brothers & Thomas
     Nursery.

------------------------
1879/12/02     "Change of Conductors" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (December 2, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     Mr Harry Seins, conductor on the fast train from West
     Chester to Philadelphia, returned to his post, replacing
     conductor Charles Rowan.  He expects to move his family to
     West Chester.  Rowan was assigned to one of the train on the
     Main Line, and left many friends in West Chester.  JJ: Note:
     an article dated November 6, 1879, describes the original
     transfer of these two conductors, but spells their names as
     Romans and Sims.

------------------------
1879/12/04     "New Conductor" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 5,
               1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     Conductor Isaac Hampton replaced Henry Rimms on the PRR-
     Malvern.  Rimms was transferred to a train operating between
     Philadelphia and Harrisburg.

------------------------
1879/12/05     "The Penn the track" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December
               5, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Mr. Robert Harbison was conductor on the ballast train on
     the PRR-Frazer.  He provided the following figures for
     material costs of construction of 30 feet of rail: two steel
     rails ($40), sixteen oak crossties ($12), ten perch of stone
     ballast @87/ctw. ($8.70), total ($60.70).  Spikes and labor
     are additional.

     Mr. Jacob Andrews will begin to install a switch west of
     Kirkland this week and lay a new line from Kirkland to
     Woodland.

------------------------
1879/12/08     "Change of Name" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 8,
               1879), in CCHS clippings file "West Goshen
               Township, Transportation, McCall's Station."

     Last Friday, the name of McCall's Station was changed to
     Fern Hill Station.

------------------------
1879/12/26     "Nearly Completed" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December
               26, 1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     John Grant's crew worked from October 8, 1879 to the
     present, and will soon be finished.

------------------------
1879/12/29     "New Telegraph" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 31,
               1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     The PRR completed its telegraph line along the PRR-Malvern. 
     As of December 30, the Walnut Street station in West Chester
     had its own direct telegraph connection and no longer needed
     to rely on the Western Union telegraph to send messages.

------------------------
1879/12/29     "Local News" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 30,
               1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     The PRR began to lay steel rails near the Convent in West
     Chester on the PRR-Malvern.

------------------------
1879/12/30     "Will Leave Us" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 30,
               1879), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad"

     Brakeman Hugh Foy of the PRR-Malvern was reassigned to West
     Philadelphia as a brakeman on extra trains, following an
     accident which cut off one of his fingers.  He had many
     friends in West Chester.

------------------------
1879-1880      "More Changes at Old Depot" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS,
               in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; PA. RR 1915-1919."

     An extension to the train station at Market Street was
     underway in 1917.  This article describes the changes in the
     station during the period 1867-1917.

     After the PRR acquired the West Chester Railroad, a new
     passenger shed was erected on the east side of the station
     [1879-1880].  There were more improvements after the "fire
     of 1888 or thereabouts" and later, a new freight station was
     built on East Union Street.  At that time, the old station
     became devoted entirely to passenger and express business.

------------------------
1880 James J. D. Lynch Jr., "The West Chester Branch" in THE HIGH
     LINE, vol. 8, no. 2 & 3 (Winter-Spring 1988), 25.

     In 1880, the WC&PRR built a new engine house, passenger
     station, and freight station for $21,049.29.

------------------------
1880/01/03     "Round Trip" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 3,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The PRR-Frazer began to sell full and half-fare round-trip
     tickets between West Chester and Philadelphia.

------------------------
1880/01/20     "Par and Interest" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January
               20, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Stock holders who had purchased a portion of the $60,000
     stock issue by the Pennsylvania Railroad to finance the
     improvements to the PRR-Frazer were easily able to sell
     their shares for their full value plus accrued interest.

------------------------
1880/01/21     "Finished" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 21, 1880),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     John Grant's work crew completed the grading of the right-
     of-way on the PRR-Frazer between Woodland and Kirkland. 
     Track-laying was due to commence immediately.

------------------------
1880/02/02     "Branch Railroad News" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (February 2, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     A reporter and friends walked the entire length of the track
     and described the work at each location: 1) Between Patton
     and Kirkland stations, replacement of a private bridge
     ("Pratt's Bridge") with a modern structure.  2) At Kirkland,
     25 men at work on 3/4 mile of new track to smooth the curve,
     plus a new bridge and ballast, all to be finished in a few
     days  3) the bridge over Ship road was finished, but the
     western end was not yet connected 4) Ton Road bridge over
     the tracks near Woodland was not yet underway, but material
     had ben brought to the site 5) the last bridge below Ton
     Road was finished.  In summary, the new track from Woodland
     to Frazer was ready except for the half mile connecting the
     Ship Road Bridge to oodland Station.

     Mr. Joseph Shoewalter was fired by the Pennsylvania Railroad
     last Saturday.  He had been responsible for track
     maintenance on the old WCRR.  Trackworkers refused to work
     on Sunday (08/01/1880) in protest over the firing.

------------------------
1880/02/10     "Out on the Branch Railroad" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (February 10, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     An unidentified man living near Glen Loch reported that the
     work crew of about thirty men on the Frazer branch of the
     PRR-Frazer had finished and departed.

------------------------
1880/02/12     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 12, 1880)

     John Grant of West Chester got the contract for excavation
     and paving around the new PRR station located on N. Matlack
     Street between Gay and Chestnut Streets.

------------------------
1880/02/14     "Bridge at Woodland" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February
               14, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     "J. A. Bricker, foreman for R. W. Gibson, contractor and
     builder from West Philadelphia," visited the PR-WC to
     inspect the site of a bridge to be built over Indian Queen
     Road near Woodland station.

------------------------
1880/02/16     "Bridge Completed" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February
               16, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Pratt's Bridge on the PRR-Frazer, the last link in the new
     line from Frazer to Woodland, was completed one or two days
     ago.

------------------------
1880/02/18     "Repairing Telegraph Wires" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (February 18, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Merrit Dixon, "the boss wireman of the P. R. R." began to
     repair telegraph wires that were "disarrayed" by the
     blasting and digging for the new PRR-Frazer.

------------------------
1880/02/18     "Bad Boys" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 18,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The Pennsylvania Railroad watchman who guarded the
     locomotives that spent the night in West Chester reported
     that the town had "some of the most mischievous boys he ever
     saw.

------------------------
1880/02/19     "Frazer Branch" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 19,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     A ballast train ran over the entire length of the new PRR-
     Frazer, which was complete except for the switch at Woodland
     which connected to the old tracks to Malvern.

------------------------
1880/02/21     "The Frazer Branch R 1880), from the CCHS
               clippings file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania
               Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     After touring the PRR-Frazer, officials of the Pennsylvania
     Railroad (General Superintendent Chas. E. Pugh, and Wm. F.
     Lockard, Superintendent of the Philadelphia Division of the
     PRR) decided not to open the line until the beginning of
     March so that ballasting could be completed.

------------------------
1880/02/26     "Intended for Those Interested" in DAILY LOCAL
               NEWS (February 26, 1880), from the CCHS clippings
               file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad,
               Frazer Branch" 

     The Pennsylvania Railroad prepared to pay dividends to
     stockholders who had contributed the $60,000 raised to
     update the PRR-Frazer Thomas C. Hogue and Judge Wollerton
     handled the affair in West Chester.

------------------------
1880/02/27     "Connection To Be Made" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (February 27, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     A temporary building was to be erected at Frazer for use as
     a station.  James J. Watson, the assistant station agent at
     Malvern, would be transferred to head the new station at
     Frazer.

------------------------
1880/02/28     "On to Frazer" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 28,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The Pennsylvania Railroad issued a new schedule for the PRR-
     Frazer that was not greatly different from the old one. 
     Trains left the Walnut Street depot in West Chester at 6:45,
     7:35, 8:45, 10:35, 2:30 and 4:25pm.  Trains left Frazer at
     8:00, 9:20, 12:05, 3:45, 5:17 and 6:05pm.  The 7:30 train
     from West Chester and the 5:17 train from Frazer were direct
     trains that made no intervening stops and went through to
     Philadelphia.

------------------------
1880/03/01     "Railroad Connection" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March
               1, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     About 200 men worked yesterday (Sunday) to complete the
     track, and the first train on the new PRR-Frazer ran today.

------------------------
1880/03/02     "Will Stop at Malvern" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March
               2, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The schedule was altered so that the trains #4 and 9 which
     were "direct trains" between Philadelphia, Frazer and West
     Chester, will also stop at Malvern.  The departure of the
     train from Philadelphia at 5:17pm was advanced to 4:30pm.

------------------------
1880/03/12     "Pay Car in Town--Viewing the Improvement" in
               DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 13, 1880), from the CCHS
               clippings file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania
               Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     The Pennsylvania Railroad pay car was in West Chester and
     workers received their monthly salaries.  Superintendent
     Lockard was also in town to inspect the new turntable and
     track grading.

------------------------
1880/03/13     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 13, 1880), from the CCHS
               clippings file: "Transportation, Pennsylvania
               Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     Dr. William B. Brinton of West Chester was appointed
     physician for the PRR-Frazer.

------------------------
1880/03/15     James J. D. Lynch Jr., "The West Chester Branch"
               in THE HIGH LINE, vol. 8, no. 2 & 3 (Winter-Spring
               1988), 27.

     In his narrative of a train accident that occurred near
     Angora Station (suburban Philadelphia) on March 15, 1880,
     the author mentioned that the telegraph operator at Angora
     station was female.  JJ: gender, woman, women.

------------------------
1880/03/22     "New Whistling Posts" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March
               22, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The PRR-Frazer recently added "whistling posts" that told
     locomotive engineers to sound their whistles when they
     approached within 300 yards of a crossing.  They also
     painted all of the milk stops brown, and they have engaged
     in clearing rubbish and underbrush away from the track.

------------------------
1880/03/22     "Want a Bridge Under the Penna (March 22, 1880),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     Residents of the northeast part of the borough expressed
     their desire that the Pennsylvania Railroad construct a
     bridge over Biddle Street near the convent.  The author of
     the article admitted that the crossing was dangerous.  An
     unidentified railroad official "railroad official stated
     yesterday that he had no doubt whatever that if the matter
     were brought to the notice of the company by the borough
     council in a friendly spirit, a satisfactory arrangement
     could be made by which the bridgeway might be built."

------------------------
1880/03/29     "Freight Train" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March 29,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The PRR-Frazer ran its first complete freight train today
     from West Chester at 1:00pm.  Previously, the railroad
     carried freight in mixed trains.

------------------------
1880/04/10     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April 10, 1880)

     The West Chester firm of Lewis and Baldwin got the contract
     for brickwork on the new PRR station on North Matlack
     Street.

------------------------
1880/04/24     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (April 24, 1880)

     Joshua King, an engineer on the old West Chester &
     Philadelphia Railroad, operated the first PRR train into the
     new West Chester station on North Matlack Street.

------------------------
1880/05/15     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (May 15, 1880)

     The PRR pay car came once a month to West Chester.  Salaries
     for railway employees increased by 10% starting in 1880/04.

------------------------
1880/05/20     "After Many Years" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (May 20,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Samuel "Scroggy" Dean operated locomotives over the WCRR
     when it was in the hands of the Pennsylvania Railroad "years
     ago" (JJ: 1858-1863).  He was transferred to the PRR-Main
     Line, but yesterday, he and his friend Ed Black ran a train
     to West Chester over the PRR-Frazer.

------------------------
1880/05/24     "Discharged" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (May 24, 1880),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     Pennsylvania Railroad track section boss Jacob Andrews fired
     five men after they refused to obey his orders yesterday. 
     His section is on the PRR-Frazer near the borough of West
     Chester.  In a piece entitled "The True Reason" which
     appeared the following day, Andrews claimed that he fired
     the men because they took 45 minutes to unload a cinder car
     when he was absent, and only 15 minutes when he was present.

------------------------
1880/06/22     "Graduated" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (June 22, 1880),
               from the CCHS clippings file: "Transportation,
               Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer Branch" 

     Conductor Keech, who has worked on the PRR-Frazer for some
     time, was sent to Philadelphia for a week of additional
     training at the company school for conductors.

------------------------
1880/06/27     "A Mammoth Engine" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (June 27,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The largest locomotive ever to visit West Chester arrived on
     the PRR-Frazer last Friday.  It was No. 103 and it had 5'8"
     driving wheels.  It stayed only briefly, but drew many
     onlookers.

------------------------
1880/07/12     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 10, 1880)

     The new West Chester station on North Matlack Street opened
     for business on 12 July 1880.

------------------------
1880/07/20     "Arrival of Ballast" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 19,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Twenty carloads of ballast are scheduled to arrive tomorrow
     for use on the PRR-Frazer from Fern Hill to West Chester. 
     After it is in place, the track will be of the same standard
     as the Main Line track.

------------------------
1880/08/01     "Putting in a New Switch" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (August 1, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Workers installed an improved switch at the junction of the
     WC&PRR and the PRR-Frazer near the Villa Maria convent.

------------------------
1880/08/10     "Railroad Fares" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 10,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Although the people of West Chester desired a fare reduction
     on both of the lines to Philadelphia, the prospects were
     poor.  "One of the leading officials of the W. C. & P. R.
     R." told the reporter that they could not reduce fares as
     long as the PRR-Frazer had to operate over non-Pennsylvania
     Railroad tracks to reach the station at 15th and Market
     Streets in Philadelphia.  Once the Pennsylvania Railroad
     extended its tracks to center city, the two railroads would
     have different lenghts and different fares would be
     justified.  The official also mentioned threats by the
     Pennsylvania Railroad against the WC&PRR, to withhold
     business from the affiliated P&BCRR, if the WC&PRR should
     reduce its fares.

------------------------
1880/09/13     "Connection Made" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September
               13, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     A work crew of 160 men, working under the supervision of
     James Kerns of Thorndale, completed the connection "with the
     new track of the Pennsylvania Railroad at Oakland" on Sunday
     that point.

------------------------
1880/09/13     "Engine Repaired" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September
               13, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The old locomotive used to haul freight from West Chester to
     Philadelphia over the PRR-Frazer was refurbished in
     Philadelphia and returned to West Chester last Saturday.  It
     was operated by Josh King and Timothy Moran.

------------------------
1880/09/18     "Finished Grading" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September
               18, 1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The grading contractor at Frazer was named Riley. He
     finished with his work on the PRR-Frazer, but the company
     had no plans to replace the track before winter because it
     was so busy with other projects.

------------------------
1880/11/22     "New Track" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 22,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     This morning, Jacob Andrews and a group of workers left West
     Chester to begin work on straightening the track on the PRR-
     Frazer at Frazer.

------------------------
1880/12/03     "Appointed" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 3,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Miles Finegan of West Goshen was appointed night watchman on
     the PRR-Frazer at West Chester.  He worked from 4pm to 2am.

------------------------
1880/12/07     "Rapid Transit" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 8,
               1880), in CCHS clipping file: "West Chester
               Transportation, West Chester & Phila. RR 1880." 

     A carload of bran arrived from St. Louis, where it departed
     on December 1.  It was hauled by a total of nine locomotives
     via the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad.

------------------------
1880/12/08     "High Fares to Philadelphia" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (December 8, 1880), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, West Chester & Phila. RR
               1880." 

     This letter, signed "W. P. H.", complains that the WC&PRR
     charges too much.  A month-pass to Philadelphia costs
     $0.48/day, or $135 per year.  This was an increase of $55.

------------------------
1880/12/16     "Local Hash" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 17,
               1880), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     The new portion of the PRR-Frazer track was connected to the
     Main Line at Frazer.

------------------------
1880/early     James J. D. Lynch Jr., "The West Chester Branch"
               in THE HIGH LINE, vol. 8, no. 2 & 3 (Winter-Spring
               1988), 33.

     In early 1880, the WC&PRR acquired an antracite-burning
     locomotive manufactured by Baldwin.

------------------------
1880s     "Town Topics" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS, in CCHS clippings
          file, "West Chester Transportation; PA. RR 1920-1924."

     Although railroads in some larger cities had created their
     own freight service to relieve crowding at their terminals,
     freight in West Chester was handled by private hauling firms
     and by the end-users themselves, who maintained their own
     wagons and trucks.

     Earlier, the West Chester & Philadelphia RR operated a
     freight delivery service around West Chester.  In those
     days, the freight operation occupied one side of the East
     Market Street station, and used a pair of horses and one
     large wagon to make deliveries around town.  

     The first driver was Jesse Ehrenzeller, who delivered
     molasses and dry goods around town.  He also collected the
     freight charges, and often refused to unload goods from his
     wagon until the freight bill was paid.

     The railroad owned a four-wheeled wide wagon and a two-
     wheeled wagon that was useful for delivering barrels.

     The horses were stabled at the railroad station next to the
     spoke mill [Hoopes Brothers and Darlington].  

     The second freight driver was John Ryan, a former brakeman
     and baggagemaster on the railroad.  He worked the wagon for
     many years.  After the PRR took over the company, freight
     delivery was handled by private firms.

------------------------
1881/01/18     James J. D. Lynch Jr., "The West Chester Branch"
               in THE HIGH LINE, vol. 8, no. 2 & 3 (Winter-Spring
               1988), 17.

     A sidebar contains "A Report to the Stockholders of the West
     Chester & Philadelphia Railroad Company" dated January 18,
     1881.  It was signed by President Henry Wood, and shows that
     the railroad was deeply in debt and unable to pay any
     dividends.

------------------------
1881/01/31     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 31, 1881), in CCHS
               clippings file, "West Chester Transportation;
               Penna. RR 1881."

     Charles Howard, assistant ticket agent and telegraph
     operator at the PRR station in West Chester, resigned to
     take a position with the West Chester & Philadelphia
     Railroad at the Junction Crossing.

------------------------
1881/02/01     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 1, 1881), in CCHS
               clippings file, "West Chester Transportation;
               Penna. RR 1881."

     A young man named Fox from Philadelphia was appointed to
     replace Charles Howard as assistant ticket agent at the PRR
     station in West Chester.

------------------------
1881/03/08     "Our Double PRR Line to the City" in DAILY LOCAL
               NEWS (March 9, 1881), in CCHS clippings file,
               "West Chester Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     The PRR announced that it had purchased a controlling
     interest in the PW&BRR.

     "As predictions are now rife, it is not out of place to
     predict a railroad meeting in West Chester at no very
     distant day--one of those social and entertaining events
     which serve so well to allow a few railroad enthusiasts to
     fire off their views in solid-shot order, and at the same
     time not hurt anybody in particular."

------------------------
1881/03/16     "Railroad Improvements" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (March
               16, 1881), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     The PRR is making a number of improvements to its facilities
     in West Chester, including the movement of the station
     agent's office from the south to north side of the station. 
     The station agent is Miss A. M. Criley, who has worked for
     the railroad for thirteen years.

------------------------
1881/05/02     "Putting Up a Fence" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (May 2,
               1881), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     The PRR constructed a stout fence of rails and posts between
     its right of way and Patton Avenue between the convent and
     Hoopes Brothers & Thomas Nursery, to prevent wagons from
     straying onto the tracks.

------------------------
1881/07/06     "Decorating the Grounds" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July
               6, 1881), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     The PRR employed a landscape gardener to place grass plots,
     flowers, gravel walks and shrubs in front of the PRR station
     in West Chester.

------------------------
1881/07/19     "A Fearful Accident" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (July 19,
               1881), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     George Torbert, a switchman at the Franklin Street crossing
     in West Chester, was horribly injured on Monday afternoon. 
     He was struck by a train that passed over an incorrectly-
     positioned switch.  He was carried unconscious to the
     rooming house owned by Mr. Broomall at 224 Franklin Street,
     where Torbert was a boarder.  Freight driver John Ryan
     fetched Dr. Woodward, as were Drs. Hartman and Brinton, the
     surgeon of the PRR.  Torbert sustained a concussion but was
     expected to live.  He had already suffered an earlier
     accident which had cost him his arm.

------------------------
1881/08/01     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 1, 1881), in CCHS
               clippings file, "West Chester Transportation;
               Penna. RR 1881."

     The PRR moved the operations of both West Chester lines
     (Frazer and Media) to the Market Street terminal.  This
     resulted in overcrowding and congestion, leading to
     complaints from citizens.

------------------------
1881/08/01-10/31    James J. D. Lynch Jr., "The West Chester
                    Branch" in THE HIGH LINE, vol. 8, no. 2 & 3
                    (Winter-Spring 1988), 5.

     On August 1, 1881, the Philadelphia, Wilmington & Baltimore
     Railroad Company (PW&BRR) assumed control over the WC&PRR
     until October 31, 1881.  On October 15, 1881, the PW&BRR was
     merged with the P&BCRR, ending the separate corporate
     existence of the WC&PRR.  The P&BCRR controlled a main line
     that ran from the Susquehanna River to a junction with the
     WC&PRR at Wawa, while the PW&BRR continued to operate the
     line from Wawa to West Chester, which became known as the
     "Wawa branch."

------------------------
1881/08/03     "Excursion Rates" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (August 3,
               1881), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     The PRR announced that it would offer an all-day excursion
     ticket to the lower Hudson River by train and steamer for
     the cost of $3.70.  Passengers boarded in West Chester at
     6am Thursday and rode to Media, Philadelphia (in time for
     the 7:35am train) to Jersey City.  There, they boarded the
     steamer RICHARD STOCKTON for the trip to West Point and
     Newburg.  The steamer stopped for 90 minutes at West Point
     and 30 minutes at Newburg.

------------------------
1881/08/04     "On fire" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (August 4, 1881), in CCHS clippings file, "West
               Chester Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     The Gay Street bridge was ignited by a passing train.  The
     fire was discovered by E. Malin, who assisted Jacob Devoe to
     put it out.

------------------------
1881/08/04     "Removing the Decorations" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (August 4, 1881), in CCHS clippings file, "West
               Chester Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     PRR employees removed the fence and landscaping decorations
     from in front of the Gay Street depot, no longer in use, and
     took them to the Downingtown station.

------------------------
1881/09/01     "A Scuffle Between Railroad Employees--Man
               Arrested" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 2, 1881),
               in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     A fight broke out between switchman George Torbert and
     conductor Walter Keech at the Market Street station after
     Keech accused Torbert of setting a switch incorrectly and
     drunkenness.  Torbert responded with fighting and threats,
     so Keech had him arrested.

------------------------
1881/09/03     DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 3, 1881), in CCHS
               clippings file, "West Chester Transportation;
               Penna. RR 1881."

     Henry Clayton was appointed switchman at the Market Street
     station in place of George Torbert, who was fired for
     drunkenness.

------------------------
1881/09/16     "Want the Gay Street Depot" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (September 16, 1881), in CCHS clippings file,
               "West Chester Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     West Chester residents circulated a petition asking the PRR
     to resume the use of the Gay Street depot because it was
     more convenient, it was "more sightly" than the old depot,
     and it gave newcomers to West Chester a better perception of
     the town.

------------------------
1881/09/24     "Foot Crushed By A Locomotive" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (September 24, 1881), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, West Chester & Phila. RR
               1881-1884." 

     John Carey, watchman at the WC&PRR engine house, had his
     foot crushed by locomotive no. 100, driven by engineer Harry
     Walters, as he ran it off of the turntable.  Dr. Price,
     assisted by Dr. Massey, amputated what was left of his foot.

------------------------
1881/09/30     "Bridge on Fire" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (October 1,
               1881), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     A passing locomotive ignited the Gay Street Bridge.  The
     fire was discovered by Thomas Beaumont and extinguished by
     Beaumont and Mr. Devoe, a nearby shopkeeper.

------------------------
1881/11/12     "A Rule on change" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November
               12, 1881), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     The PRR had a rule that its ticket agents could only sell
     tickets for exact change.  This was to eliminate the need to
     keep change on hand in the various offices and to reduce
     confusion and delay while selling tickets.

------------------------
1881/12/15     "A Terrible Accident" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (December 15, 1881), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     James Bloom, fireman on engine no. 627 which operated
     between West Chester and Philadelphia, was injured about
     noon last Wednesday.  He was working underneath his
     locomotive while it sat on a siding when several railcars
     bumped it and moved it about 50 feet.  Bloom suffered
     multiple fractures and lacerations as he was "fearfully
     crushed and mangled."  He was taken to the home of his
     brother, an engineer on the PRR-Frazer, and Dr. Woodward of
     West Chester was summoned to treat him.

------------------------
1881/12/15     "A Falling Off" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (ecember 15,
               1881), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Since the PRR-Frazer raised its fare from West Chester to
     Fern Hill from five to seven cents, ridership has dropped
     off from roughly 20-30 per day to nil.  They prefer to walk
     to West Chester than to pay the extra two cents.

------------------------
1881/12/31     "80 Cents" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December 31,
               1881), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1881."

     The PRR announced that the fare from West Chester to
     Philadelphia would increase to 80 cents.  The fare was the
     same whether you got out at the Broad Street terminal, 31st
     and Chestnut, or 32nd and Market.

------------------------
1882/01/20     "No Loafing" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (January 20,
               1882), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     After the cleaning assistants complained, the superintendent
     of the PRR station in West Chester took steps to expel
     loiterers from the station.

------------------------
1882/02/04     "Change of Base" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (February 4,
               1882), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     N. F. Sears will assume his duties as assistant to Mr.
     McMichael next Friday at the West Chester station.

------------------------
1882/02/06     "Increased Demand for Tickets" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (February 6, 1882), in CCHS clipping file: "West
               Chester Transportation, West Chester & Phila. RR
               1881-1884." 

     An agreement was reached to allow passengers in West Chester
     to buy tickets to stations on the Philadelphia & Reading
     Railroad.  The round trip between West Chester and
     Phoenixville was $2.00, and it was so popular that
     Phoenixville's livery drivers were losing business.

------------------------
1882/04/15     "Interesting to Yearly Meeting Folks" in DAILY
               LOCAL NEWS (April 11, 1882), in CCHS clippings
               file, "West Chester Transportation; Penna. RR
               1882-1884."

     In a letter to Thomas C. Hogue, the PRR announced that it
     would beginning selling ten-trip books on April 15, 1882.

------------------------
1882/04/15     Editorial in PHOENIXVILLE MESSENGER (April 15,
               1882), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     This editorial is addressed by a resident of Phoenixville to
     the Pennsylvania Railroad concerning plans to extend the
     PRR-Frazer branch from Frazer to Phoenixville.  It condemns
     the PRR's request that businessmen and farmers help pay for
     the new line by purchasing stock, and cites the example of
     the Pickering Valley Railroad, which obtaining its financing
     in the same way, and left investors with worthless stock.  

     It also mentioned that the construction of a through
     railroad to Philadelphia is not necessarily a blessing for
     the local community, since shoppers can easily bypass local
     businesses and do their shopping in Philadelphia.  "It has
     injured our town insomuch as it has opened up a large
     section of the country to Philadelphia influences and
     business."

     The editorial writer did admit that there was an advantage
     to Phoenixville being served by two railroads, the
     Pennsylvania Railroad and the Philadelphia & Reading RR, but
     added that the Pennsylvania Railroad was lass generous with
     excursion ticket fares.  In the same vein, the writer added
     that at least the new railroad would be "a rival to the
     Reading, whih we need, and in this connection, the
     Pennsylvania R. R. cannot, as it did with West Chester,
     destroy competition by buying up other lines."

------------------------
1882/05/17     "Some complaint" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (May 17,
               1882), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     Dairy farmers complained that the milk train left for
     Philadelphia so early that, in order to complete their
     milking on time, they had to get up at 3am.  They threatened
     to send their milk to local creameries instead.

------------------------
1882/05/20     "Finished" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (May 20, 1882), in
               CCHS clippings file, "West Chester Transportation;
               Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     The work of remodeling the Market Street depot was complete.

------------------------
1882/09/08     "Two Gates" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (September 8,
               1882), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     The PRR planned to install crossing gates at Market Street
     in West Chester.

------------------------
1882/10/28     "3334" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (October 28, 1882), in
               CCHS clippings file, "West Chester Transportation;
               Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     The PRR cut its round-trip fare to Philadelphia in half for
     the Bi-centennial exposition and sold 3334 tickets as a
     result.  The author also complimented the railroad for
     operating during this period without a single accident.

------------------------
1882/11/16     "A Change" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (November 16,
               1882), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     Frederick Hamilton was appointed gatekeeper at the
     Market Street crossing in West Chester, replacing
     Daniel Johnson, who was transferred to the yard as a
     switchman.

------------------------
1882/11/25     "A Well Ballasted Road" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS
               (November 25, 1882), from the CCHS clippings file:
               "Transportation, Pennsylvania Railroad, Frazer
               Branch" 

     Morris Regester, the "boss trackman" for the PRR-Frazer,
     took pains to make his section as well-ballasted as any in
     the country.

------------------------
1882/12/21     "About As Of Yore" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December
               21, 1882), in CCHS clippings file, "West Chester
               Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     John Carey, who lost a leg as a result of a railroad
     accident, was getting around again thanks to a new cork leg. 
     It was hoped that the PRR would reimburse him for the cost
     of the leg.

------------------------
1882/12/23-01/02    "Lower Rates" in DAILY LOCAL NEWS (December
                    15, 1882), in CCHS clippings file, "West
                    Chester Transportation; Penna. RR 1882-1884."

     The PRR offered lower excursion rates during the holiday
     season.  A round-trip to Philadelphia cost $1.20 and a
     round-trip to New York cost $4.80.



---   Go to Riggtown Home or the HIS480 Syllabus   ---

Copyright 2010 by Dr. James A. Jones