Articles from various issues of Industrie et Travail
|© 1999 by Jim Jones, Ph.D.|
|Go to Archive Table of Contents||Read Disclaimer|
Mopti got a new power plant located next to the dike leading from Sévaré to Mopti. It had two 80cv diesel motors and one 40cv diesel motor.
The 1959 budget included increased taxes on fuels (5 francs per liter for gasoline and 3 francs per liter for diesel), but farm tractors, the railroad, the Société des Messageries Africaines and power plants were exempt from the new tax.
This table shows vehicle registrations in the Soudan in 1959:
|Year||Private||Utility||Tractors||Motorized bicycles (velomoteurs)|
(p409) This article mentions the 4X4 version of the Citroen 2CV. This was a small, low-cost automobile sold throughout France. It was adapted for use in the Sahara by equipping it with a second 425cc motor.
(p393) The trans-Saharan piste n°2 "Tanezrouft" carried 7,000 tons of freight in the first four months of 1958. The northern part between Abadia and Reggane carried a total of 40,000 tons of freight in 1958.
This advertisement has a black/white photo of a model W8SAT tractor-trailer carrying eleven 24-meter sections of 24" pipe for Sahara Desert oil pipeline construction. The tractor's drive wheels are roughly 1.60 meters in diameter, the same size as a man shown next to the truck. Camions Willème distributed its trucks from a dealer in Algeria.
Pierre Jacquinot was the Président du Chemin de Fer Méditerranée-Niger.
(p421) The Office du Niger was one of the main reasons to build the Chemin de Fer Méditerranée-Niger. They expected to move more than 300,000 tons per year of animals, oil plants, fibers, textiles and coffee to the north, and possibly 200,000 tons per year of fruits, vegetables, wine, construction materials and other processed goods to the south.
After 1929, the goal of the Chemin de Fer Méditerranée-Niger was to export minerals from the Sahara.
(p682) A graph shows that commercial freight traffic increased dramatically after 1956. Passenger traffic took off after 1952, peaked in 1955, dropped in 1956 and then climbed again. Freight (tonsXkm) began to rise rapidly after 1954. (Note: These figures are all approximate because they were taken from the graph.)
|Year||Tons||Millions of ton-kilometers|
Bamako's old power plant was operated by the PTT (postal and telecommunication servicem which needed power for radio communications) and had a capacity of 800 kilowatt-hours. At the end of 1953, a new unit raised that capacity to 2,400 kilowatt-hours. In 1956, capacity reached 4,400 kilowatt-hours and at the end of 1959, further improvements raised that to 6,400 kilowatt-hours. However, all of this required increasing amounts of fuel, brought in from Dakar in 40 cubic-meter capacity railcars. In 1958, electrical generation consumed 3,000 cubic meters; by 1963, it was expected to double. This increase in consumption stimulated the government to study the possibilities for hydroelectric generation at Sotuba.
NOTE: The cover photo of this issue shows the new bridge over the Niger River at Bamako. The caption reads "Le Pont de Bamako ouvert à la circulation le 12 Mars."
Cheikh Fall was the Directeur Fédéral de l'Office des Postes et Télécommunications du Mali.
(p456) Bamako received a manual telephone switchboard (Type R6 with 1.000 lines) in 1958. From 1958-1960, the number of telephones rose from 600 to over 900. In 1960, there were 93 telephones in Ségou. As of January 1, 1960, there were a total of 8,831 phones in Senegal and 1,657 in Soudan.
(p554) An advertisement for Friedrich Krupp of Essen lists the Société Commerciale Ouest-Africain as their agent in Bamako.
(p569) Bamako received a new 2,000-kilowatt generator in March 1960.
(p570) Dr. Forbes was a geneticist at the Office du Biger in the 1930s. [See M. B. Van Pooten, Directeur Technique de l'Office du Niger, letter to the editor.]
(p571) A number of projects were completed using FIDES funds in 1959-1960. Irrigation projects were concentrated in the north at Timbuktu (plaine de Korioumé), Niafunké (mare de Danga), Macina (Diaka). Other irrigation projects were at San (Tentière, Penesso and San Ouest) and Bamako (Kangaba and Dankan-Tomboula).
Other projects were completed under the authority of FERDES around Gao, Goundam, Mopti, Bandiagara, Djenne, Sikasso and Kayes (mare de Doro).
M. Protat was the Directeur Fédéral de la Régie du Chemin de Fer de l'AOF
(p591) World War II seriously depressed traffic levels and 1938 totals were not reached again until 1948.
In 1959, the Chemin de Fer Dakar-Niger became the Régie Fédérale des Chemins de Fer du Mali.
(p593) Large stretches were built without stone ballast due to the absence of quarries between Thiès and Saint Louis, and km33 to km632 on the Chemin de Fer Thiès-Kayes. As a result, laterite was used, which explained the large number of washouts.
In 1940-1941, the first ten diesel autorails (five diesel-electrics and five diesels with mechanical transmissions) reached Senegal. (The first diesel in France entered service in 1934.) As of 1960, four were still in service, although they suffered from a lack of spare parts during WWII.
Full dieselisation of the AOF railroads took place between 1947 and 1957. This is a list of diesel locomotives and their delivery dates. (NOTE: A "BB" type is equivalent to an 0-2-2-0 and a "CC" is equivalent to an 0-3-3-0.]
|Type||Motor manufacturer||Horsepower (CV)||Date received||Number of this type in service in 1960|
(p594) The safety of railroad operaitons on a single track was assured by the use of the canton system and telephones. The line was divided into cantons and two trains were not permitted to move within the same canton at the same time under any circumstance.
This table shows the distance (in 1000s of kilometers) covered by each type of motive power in the years from 1947 to 1959:
|Year||Steam Locomotives||Diesel Locomotives||Autorail||Work trains (steam)||Work trains (diesel)|
(p595) The Dakar-Niger express ran three times a week and took 27 hours to travel from Dakar to Bamako at an average speed of 46 kilometers per hour. The Service de marchandise was based mainly on peanut exports. Imports consisted mostly of fuel, building materials and processed food products.
|Year||Number of passengers||Number of passenger-kilometers||Tons of freight||Number of freight ton-kilometers|
|1959||slightly less than 1958, which was a record, but still more than all the years before 1957|
Martin Kirsch was the Procurer de la République.
The loi de 15 Decembre 1952, article 92 concerned the right of ex-patriate workers to suitable housing, but applied only to permanent employees.
(p620) In order to qualify for company housing, employees could not be native to the area where they performed their work. Their principal residence had to be located elsewhere, and they had to have had trouble finding lodging on their own. Normal lodging expenses were calculated at 15-20% of the salary.
This article describes vehicles manufactured especially for use in the Sahara Desert. Among the products mentioned: light trucks by A.L.M. (French) and Willys (USA), heavy trucks by M.A.N. (Germany), and special tires from Dunlop. See also the ALM advertisement on page 821.