Trina Schart Hyman and Little Red Riding Hood

In Self-Portrait: Trina Schart Hyman, Hyman discusses her childhood fascination with Red Riding Hood:
[My mother] read to me from the time I was a baby, and once, when I was three or four and she was reading my favorite story, the words on the page, her spoken words, and the scenes in my head fell together in a blinding flash!

The story was
Little Red Riding Hood, and it was so much a part of me that I actually became Little Red Riding Hood. My mother sewed me a red satin cape with a hood that I wore almost every day, and on those days, she would make me a "basket of goodies" to take to my grandmother's house. (My only grandmother lived in Rhode Island, three hundred miles away, but that didn't matter.) I'd take the basket and carefully negotiate the backyard, "going to Grandmother's house." My dog, Tippy, was the wolf. Whenever we met, which in a small backyard had to be fairly often, there was an intense confrontation. My father was the woodsman, and I greeted him when he came home each day with relief and joy.

Red and her mother
Red Riding Hood and her mother
-- from Trina Schart Hyman, Little Red Riding Hood (Holiday House, 1986)

Trina Schart Hyman and her mother             Young Hyman as Red Riding Hood
-- from Self-Portrait: Trina Schart Hyman (Harper & Row, 1981)

Return to main page